Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Things You Will Never Regret

I was recommending a Vitamix blender to a friend awhile back and one of the phrases I found myself using was "You will never regret it."  I meant it.  Which got me thinking about other things in my life I would put this label on.  In no particular order.



1.  Vitamix blender.  It will literally change you feeding habits.  You will get ingest more fruits and vegetables into your body.  If you have kids it's a must if you can.  The price tag is steep, but I must have gone through 3 blenders at about 90 bucks each before this purchase.  

2.  Flossing.  It is one of those things that gets pushed to the side when you are tired or it is late.  But, no one ever gets done flossing and said, "that was a waste of time."  It is always a small sense of a win.

3.  Reading.  You can state that was a worthless read, but not regret reading.  The difference, you may have gotten nothing from the book or article, but you are still increasing your ability to talk, to think and relate to a subject.  Conversation about topics is a big way for people to relate.  If you deal with people everyday, just finding a landing point to talk about often leads to better interactions on the important stuff. 

4.  Showering.  You may be exhausted and feel like you will shower later.  I've never regretted jumping in the shower and coming out clean to go about my other daily tasks.  I hate not going to bed without a shower.  Hitting the sheets feeling clean, feels great. 

5.  Studying.  I can remember over studying for tests.  But, I never regretted it.  Way better to look at the answers and rattle them off thinking it is easy, then looking at questions with the scary realization that you have no idea what is going on.  

6.  Preparing for the day the night before.  It could be meals, outfits or a preloading your car.  Setting up to make tomorrow easier is never one of those things you regret.  You often find the realization that it makes life easier and much less stressful.  

7.  Giving a Genuine Compliment.  Sometimes it can be awkward to give someone a compliment.   Not that fake stuff that comes off as just part of the social norm.  A genuine compliment.  It might even feel weird to do, but you won't regret it.  It will probably make someones day.  

8.  Learning.  Anything.  You will never regret knowing more.  For the longest time growing up, I was the kid that wanted to know why I needed to know this, this is going to be useless for my life.  This doesn't have anything to do with what I want to do.  This is wasting my time.  Looking back, learning does a few things.  It widens your window in which you see the world.  (like reading)  The more you learn about various topics the quicker you start to see patterns that perhaps will help with the topic that does matter in your career.  Learning helps you learn better.  The more you learn the more capacity you are building to learn more.  

9.  Eating Better.  That can mean whatever you need it to be.  We can all agree a diet of pizza and fries isn't healthy.  But, we may all disagree on what healthy means.  Either way, choosing what you feel is healthy over what we all will agree on is junk is never regretted. You won't wake up the next day and lament, "why did I eat that salad yesterday!"

10.  Saving money.  I'm going to put this in the category, because you may regret not purchasing something, but you never regret saving money.  At the end of the year, no one says, I wish I had spent more.  There is to much in my savings account.  


Thinking about this stuff hopefully you realize your own unique "no regrets" and it perpetuates more action in using them.  How about you?  What are some things you have never regretted? 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I tell people as I recommend them to you that I love the way your brain works..there, thats one of those awkward compliments, but you do have a great way of seeing things clearly and stating them honestly. Great blog! And may i double down on the flossing? As a Dental Hygienist I can honestly say.."You will never regret doing it!" 😊

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott Snyder said...

I finally broke down and bought a vitamix. I'm curious what some of your favorite shake recipes are, specifically morning and evening. Often I get home and almost immediately have to go to bed for the next day. I'm looking for a shake so I can put something in my body, but I'm not breaking the "don't eat within two hours of sleep" rule.