Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Functional Range Release Review

This past weekend I had the chance to attend the Functional Range Release Spine in Toronto.  It was taught by the founder, Dr. Andreo Spina.  I had attended the Conditioning seminar this past fall and was really impressed with the quality of the teaching, the science of what is being taught and overall the quality of the material.

The more I learn,  the more I value information that can be used.  I love learning new stuff and I've written recently how nothing learned is wasted, but some information has much more practical application and at this point in my life/career, I'm after application.

The three day seminar was really on point.  The end of the day came quickly.  2nd best compliment I can give something.  We have all been at a seminar where you look at your watch and are like woe, I've got 3 more hours before I can go!  Even some where I find the info interesting.  When your engrossed, challenged, learning, engaged, time flies.

Now the best compliment I can give something, is that I took the seminar on the weekend and I applied the information with success on Monday.  Finding things that change how you practice are rare in my opinion.  I've been doing ART (active release technique) for over 10 years,  I find this method more advanced.

The first half of the seminar is really going over palpation.  It's a bit surprising/embarrassing that some structures I have thought I've been treating aren't even the right muscles.  Levator Scapula?
These skills are dramatically improved.  There is a system.  No guessing.  A few techniques on muscles such as Psoas were worth the trip in itself.

One of the best things was working on palpation skills and listening to the Instructors (Dr. Spina and Dr. Michael Chivers) give tips/helpful information.  Here is an example, the deeper the muscle, the less motion should be used.  It has to be segmental for it to be treated.  Makes sense.  I had never heard it before put like that.  For me, these were the types of things that I picked up the whole time.

Facial muscles were heavily taught.  First time again for me for having that dedicated time on learning about these.

On a side note, Dr Chivers was awesome enough to work on my elbow with Mulligan technique and combination of the PAILS/RAILS technique that is part of the FRR seminar.  My elbow improved.  I was shocked.  I was pumped.  4 years of people treating it,  including myself reaming on it, with little to show for it.   I no longer have a bone on bone end feel.  I'm excited to see how much more I can get out of this elbow.

Part of the Seminar is not only the palpation and treatment but the rehab using the PAILS/RAILS systems.  It's very integrative.  If you want more of the science behind everything,  Dr. Jeff Cubos gave a great review awhile back while doing an interview with Dr. Spina.   Notes and Quotes. 

Overall this is a great seminar.  I'm excited to take the lower and upper in the following few months.  This is information you can turn around and use right away.  The highest compliment I can give something.

2 comments:

test said...

hi~ me and my friend wanna host a seminar in taiwan. i am curious about which one is harder to learn, functional range release or active release technique? can you tell more about comparison between these 2 technique.
thank you.

Jason Ross said...

I would go for the FRR...more applicable from cost to technique to the quality of teaching.