Thursday, January 23, 2014

Simple Breathing Exercise for Manual Therapists

One of the easiest ways to teach patients to breath with the diaphragm is to get the patient to inflate the posterior ribs.  Many people simply breath up with a shrugging motion, never really getting rib expansion.

One easy drill I've been employing recently is to hook the shoulder blade so that my fingers are underneath the shoulder blade.

I tell them to inhale through the nose and push my fingers out from behind the shoulder blade by getting the ribs to expand.  Usually after a few tries, they feel the ribs start to push against my fingers  and it becomes easier to do.

Breathing 22,000x a day is an important task to get correct.  Getting the patient to feel it correctly is very important.  Give it a try and let me know what you think.

No comments: