Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Thoughts on my Blood Work

A few weeks ago I had my blood work done for the first time.  Here are the numbers.

Total Cholesterol  202
HDL  67
Triglycerides  64
LDL  122
VIT D  49

This makes my ratio of Total Cholesterol/HDL basically a 3.  Pretty solid.  I'm pretty happy with my HDL.  In the future I would like to specify to the clinic about the LDL.  It appears that there are two types of LDL, small and large.  The small appear to be more dense and dangerous.  Large are more "fluffy" and are not a big health concern.  The small appear to be more prevalent with high triglycerides and low HDL.

In my research it appears small are more sensitive to carbohydrates and large more sensitive to saturated fats.  Take away saturated fats and your small particles increase and LDL totals.  Take away carbs and your small LDL particles go down.

The one thing that did take me by surprise was my VIT D levels.  I had been supplementing with 5000 IU for about 2.5 months.  I was thinking I would be in high 50s low 60s, my goal.  This was one where I wished I had a baseline to know what I was at before testing.

On a side note,  the only thing written on my report from the doctor that read it was, total cholesterol outside of acceptable range.  LOL

No comments: